Sue & Gary's Summer 2006

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Days 73 - 75 - Continuing the Denver visit


(Note: Blogger has been very slow, so I am uploading some photos in the Small size - not sure it makes any difference but..... Click on the photo to enlarge - works most of the time!)

We had another lovely visit to the new log home, and this time I got some photos, although these do not do this lovely place justice.

The first is outside at the front entrance area.

The second is the great room and fireplace.






The third is the kitchen which is arranged just like the old cabin was, and I had to pinch myself everytime I was in it to realize that I was not in the old place. John, Joel and friend Josh carried the old Buck stove up the hill, in several pieces, to relocate it to the new kitchen, quite a job. The old place has a new, much smaller stove for heating, which they carried down the hill, and that, too, was a lot of work.

The last photo is of the loft. This high point in the house affords wonderful views of the front range. The day was not very clear and in any event my photos of the view were not very good.

Today we had a final get-together at the Highland Garden Cafe. This wonderful restaurant is in Northwest Denver, just three houses from where John and I grew up. This restaurant is housed in two old homes that have been extensively redone and cleverly connected. They have seating both inside and out, and it is highly regarded in Denver. Unfortunately the area, particularly our old house, does not look very good, and I chose not to photograph it. I prefer to remember it as it was. Truly, at this point, I hope that, like the house right next door, they will tear it down and do something good with the property.




We said our goodbys to John and family. It was a wonderful visit!